Test Time

I was only a few weeks into the test when finals came around. With special education students most of the take the test with me in small groups. It was very difficult because I did not know how they were doing in the class, and I did not have an idea about what the kids were responsible for knowing prior to my arrival.

But even though most teachers think that giving test is a rather boring part of the day, time to read the newspaper, it fascinates me. To watch them suddenly so serious, seeing that composure or caring that we wanted so badly to see and sometimes doubted whether it existed. And I dread it too because I know some students have studied so hard and are concentrating and they will fail. And some of them will never truly get over that feeling. Some will dropout, or will be very proud of graduating but will feel that same feeling of failure just thinking about college and won't do it.

I want so badly for them to do well. I wonder what is going on behind those stony young faces.