Sunday Morning Truce

Often I do not get to relax on Friday or Saterday. I am a very solitary person in a social job, and as much as I would love to go home Friday and do nothing, somehow it rarely ends up that way. Usually it is just me and the roomates drinking, no real elaborate social life, just a way of wasting time.

But Sunday morning is when I truly forget about school. Drinking does many things, but it simply does not allow me to forget. I try to wake up early and walk to a nearby bakery in a shirt: letting the cold freeze me awake. And take a book, have a cinnamon role and coffee, turn the Tupac off the Ipod for a time and switch to some classical music, quiet and orderly, sometimes emotional, sometimes reassuringly not.

It took me several months to read Anna Karina, and I am not even sure if I liked it, although it has passages that are simply beautiful. But in that moment I could forget, be back in college. Read an Eastern European book in an Eastern European neighborhood.

Reading something, being in control, a simple relationship that did not cause suffering or conflict.

And then go to school on Monday and let what would come, come.