America: 11th Grade Poems

My America -vs- Your America

I see the fun
I see the guns

You see the guns
But you don't see the fun...

You see the struggle
We just see the hustle

I love the high rise
You like the big houses

Your platinum and gas credit cards
Our bankrolls come in wars

U wanna gamble in Vegas
I rather shoot the 6's and 8's in the hallway

U take the time to figure us out
We try to see what you are really about

1st and 15th everybody I know happy
My CHA (Chicago Housing Authority) -vs- Your real estate
My America -vs- Your America

Am I an American?

Am I an American because I am free to see all the city lights shining among the people?
Am I an American because I bear witness to all the drugs on the street and all of their patrons?
Am I an American because I am a survivor of the terrorist attacks and was around to see it happen?
Am I an American because i was born in the United States, or have been afforded the opportunity to cross the border?
Am I an American because I speak English and Spanish alike?
Am I an American because I have toe freedom of the press to hear Bush say we are safe?
Am I an American because i smell spring coming in the morning sun or if I hear gunshots at night?
What really makes an American?
What I really think makes an American is someone who is truly happy with who they really are.